Firearms Defense Lawyers Los Angeles, California
At the Kosnett Law Firm, our weapons defense attorney in Los Angeles, California, James Kosnett, is an accomplished, well-respected lawyer who has been representing clients in state and federal courts since 1976.
Whether you are facing felony gun charges in Los Angeles County or are appearing in court under federal charges, our experienced Criminal Defense Attorney in Los Angeles will focus on obtaining an acquittal for your unique case, so you can move forward with your life without a conviction.
Without the proper legal representation by your side, firearms charges can result in imprisonment and the loss of the right to carry, along with the additional personal and professional privileges most currently enjoy.
At the Kosnett Law Firm, our Los Angeles firearms defense lawyer will outline your legal options, so you can make an informed decision regarding your future.
What Are The Most Common Types of Firearms Charges In California?
Our stringent California Gun Laws can turn any firearm-related charge into a serious offense, as they leave zero room for error. If you find yourself on the wrong side of these laws, life can become incredibly complicated without a Los Angeles firearms defense attorney going forward.
At Kosnett Law Firm, we defend our clients against the following weapons charges:
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Assault with a weapon
- Brandishing a firearm
- Carrying a concealed and/or loaded handgun
- Dealing in assault weapons without a license
- Illegal discharge of firearms
- Illegal sale of a firearm
- Improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle
- Making false statements to obtain firearms
- Manufacture or possession of destructive devices
- Transfer of large-capacity magazines
- Using firearms in a restricted area or for self-defense
And possession of any of the following weapons or circumstances:
- Grenade launchers and grenades
- Machine guns or their conversion parts
- Multi-burst trigger activators
- Prohibited arms like Billy Club, Switchblade Knives, and Brass Knuckles
- Shotguns and short-barreled rifles
- Unregistered firearms or assault weapons
- Weapon by a convicted felon
The word weapon has a very broad definition. Deadly weapons include weapons listed above and several other items including tear gas, box cutters, keys, and a car.
Even your own fist will be considered as a weapon if it is used to hurt another person. And any charges resulting in someone else’s injury will require an accomplished weapons defense lawyer in Los Angeles, California.
What Are The Different Levels Of Weapons Charges In California?
Much like most criminal charges, weapons charges fall into misdemeanor and felony categories, but also include additional penalties when gun enhancement laws are added to the sentencing.
Misdemeanor weapons charges are punishable by up to one year in county jail and/or up-to a $1,000 fine.
Felony weapons charges are punishable by one to twenty years in a California State Prison. These charges will be determined by the activity, the offense, and the accused’s prior criminal record.
Before January 2019, there were mandatory attachments that could be added to gun charges that would allow ten years in prison to be added to a sentence for gun possession, twenty years for firing a weapon, and 25+ years for using a gun that resulted in serious injury or death.
Since the beginning of 2019, new California Legislation has been designed to deliver new discretion for judges to strike firearm use enhancements, instead of them being mandatory, but it is completely up to the judge to make that decision.
This is why it is incredibly important for anyone who is facing weapons charges in Las Angeles, California to obtain an accomplished firearms defense attorney immediately upon arrest. We can protect your rights from the beginning of your case, so the prosecutor has no time to prey upon your vulnerable state.
How Does The Kosnett Law Firm Protect My Right To Bear Arms?
The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects your right to keep and carry firearms. We have a thorough understanding of this law and are adept at using its provisions to protect your rights.
We believe that every person is innocent until they are proven guilty, and our duty is to prove your innocence in court. Over the years, our Los Angeles firearms defense attorneys have helped many clients gain an acquittal in weapons charges, and we are eager to achieve the same results with you.
As your firearms defense lawyers, we will :
- Make all required court motions
- Gather evidence to support your case
- Interview all witnesses of your case
- Negotiate a favorable plea if that is necessary or seeking a reduction or dismissal of the charges leveled against you
- If sentencing seems unavoidable, we will seek alternative sentencing like electronic surveillance, community service, or weekends in jail
Our Criminal Defense Law Firm In California Include The Following Practice Areas:
- DUI Defense
- Marijuana Defense
- Theft, Robbery, And Burglary
- Misdemeanor Defense
- Felony Defense
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Expungements And Motions To Terminate Probation
- Post Conviction Relief
- Sealing Your Arrest Record
If you have been arrested for a weapons charge, contact the Kosnett Law Firm today by calling (310) 751-0446 to schedule a free consultation where we will assess your case thoroughly and discuss all possible options.